Oklahoma State University

Student Disability Services Logo

What scholarships are available for students with disabilities?

OSU Scholarships for Students with Disabilities

  • McAlester Scottish Rite Scholarship for the Blind
    The McAlester Scottish Rite Charitable and Educational Foundation offers scholarships for blind or visually impaired undergraduate or graduate students attending OSU. Applications can be made in the Spring semester and are awarded for the following academic year. Applications are available through the Student Disability Services Office.  
  • Scholarships for the Physically Limited
    These scholarships, established through the OSU Foundation, are available to undergraduate and/or graduate students with disabilities making progress toward a degree. The amount of the scholarship varies and they are awarded annually. Applications are solicited in the Spring with first consideration given to individuals who have quadriplegia. Applications are available through the Student Disability Services Office.
  • The Mary Jane Smothers Assistantship
    This assistantship, established as an endowed fund through the OSU Foundation, offers employment to a student with a disability on the OSU Library staff. Undergraduate or graduate students may apply to gain experience working in a library setting. Assignment and duties are negotiable. Applications must be received one month prior to the beginning of the Fall semester and awards will be made on an annual basis.
  • Hoyt E. James Endowed Scholarship
    This endowment is for students with a minimum 2.5 high school grade point average and he/she must not receive state or federal financial aid. The recipient(s) may continue to receive the scholarship for up to four years, provided he/she continues to maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average each semester. The student must have a disability in at least one of the following areas: vision, hearing or other sensory functions; limitation of physical movement due to birth defects, injury, accident or illness; impairment of mental or neural capacity; health condition that impedes and/or complicates participation in educational experiences. Preference of this scholarship shall be given to residents of Haskell county. For more information, contact OSU's Office of Scholarships & Financial Aid at 744-6604.

Scholarship and Financial Aid Resources

  • Association of Library Agencies
    Recruiting people with disabilities into the library profession. Annual $2500 scholarship for services or accommodations that are either not provided by law or otherwise by the University to study for a Master's or Doctorate in Library Science. Check out the linked website for more information (application requirements) 
  • Anne Ford Scholarship for students with learning disabilities (LD)
    This scholarship is an annual gift of $10,000 to a promising high school senior with learning disabilities who plans to pursue a university degree. It is sponsered by NCLD - National Center for Learning Disabilities.
  • Ethel Louise Armstrong Foundation Scholarships for Female Graduate Students with Disabilities
    The ELA Foundation will award one or two scholarships per academic year depending on merit. Each scholarship awards are up to $2,000 and will be awarded in August 2002. For more information about application go to the linked website.
  • Bank of America ADA Abilities Scholarship
    This is an annual scholarship program that is competitive and based on academic merit and financial need. Applicant must be a high school senior, high school graduate, or college student seeking a degree in Finance, Business or Computer Systems AND plan on a career with a banking institution. Also must have GPA of 3.0 (on 4.0 scale) and be a US citizen. For more information about an application and deadlines go to the linked website or stop by the SDS office in 315 Student Union.

  • HEATH Resource Center
    2121 K St. NW, Suite 220, Washington, DC 20036
    (800) 544-3284 v/t; 202-973-0904 V/TTY
     - national clearinghouse on postsecondary education for people with disabilities.
  • Oklahoma AHEAD (Association on Higher Education And Disability)
    Repository of Resources for financial assistance
  • Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS)
    Vocational Rehabilitation-State office
    3535 NW 58TH Suite 500, OKC OK 73112-3500
    405-951-3400 Dir, Linda Parker OKC

    -Services for the Blind - 405-372-2017 Regina Mann, counselor;
    405-522-0505 Christy Baldwin, O&M Training
    -Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services, P.O.Box 25352, OKC, OK 73125 405-424-2794
    TTY 405-917-7700 v Judy Fox-Goodrich
    -Client Assistance Program, 405-424-2794 Helen Kutz

Federal Financial Aid

The federal government programs are explained in a booklet called Funding Your Education from the U.S. Department of Education. For a free copy,   write to:

         Federal Student Aid Programs
         Box 84 Washington, DC 20044
        (800) 433-3243 (800) 730-8913 (TTY)

Community Sources

  • The International Kiwanis Club recommends checking with local Kiwanis organizations to see if they offer scholarships. To find the telephone number of your local chapter, call (317) 875-8755, or look in your local phone book.
  • For scholarships offered through the Elks Grand Lodge in Winton, NC, call (919) 358-7661.
  • Local chapters of the Rotary Club offer scholarships for overseas study. Call (202) 638-3555 for more information.
  • Call the Lions Club International at (630) 571-5466, or look in your local phone book, to find a telephone number for the District Governor in your area, who can inform you about scholarship opportunities. Another possible source of funds is the National Association of American Business Clubs at P.O. Box 5127, High Point, NC 27262; (910) 869-2166

Internet Sources

Lots of information available at SDS office